UC has safe and affordable on campus and off-campus accommodation for a number and variety of students, These residential hubs are diverse, convenient, safe, and provide excellent value.
All of the residential accommodation provides:
• Your own fully furnished room — with a bed, desk, chair, wardrobe, and book shelf
• Heating and power
• Computer rooms and wi-fi access
• Recreational facilities and study areas
• High-quality meals provided, or well-equipped kitchens to enable you to cook for yourself
• Laundry facilities
• Car parking and bike storage
Ease your transition to New Zealand life by living in the Halls of residence and villages.
Guaranteed places in halls of residence for international students
If you are a single international student who is over 18 and coming to study at UC (as a fully enrolled student) and apply by the 1st December you are guaranteed a place in a single fully-furnished room in one of the self-catered apartments at Ilam Apartments or Sonoda Christchurch Campus.
UC International College (UCIC) students can apply for an accommodation package at Ilam Apartments, Sonoda Christchurch Campus or Kirkwood Avenue Hall. Accommodation is for a minimum of two UCIC semesters.
Halls of residence
1. Bishop Julius Hall backs onto the historic Ilam Homestead and is a short walk through fields and gardens to the Ilam campus. It prides itself on being students’ ‘home away from home’.
2. College House is bounded by two streams and borders Ilam Gardens. A large contemporary art collection of more than 100 artworks is displayed throughout the hall.
3. Rochester and Rutherford Hall prides itself on its excellent food, high-quality facilities, vibrant community life, and providing a supportive environment for students’ academic achievement.
4. UC’s largest fully catered hall, University Hall offers a unique V1-First Year academic and social programme in a vibrant and diverse community.
5. Waitakiri Village is fully catered hall of residence , perfect for a sporting enthusiast or student looking to make the most of Christchurch’s active lifestyle. The expansive lawn area provides ample space for recreational activities such as soccer, and other outdoor pursuits are only a short distance away.
6. Kirkwood Avenue Hall is a self-catered hall of residence for first-year students
7. Ilam Apartments are not only close to campus, they are walking distance to shopping malls and public transport. Ilam Apartments is a vibrant, fun and supportive accommodation option for students in their first year right through to postgraduate level.
8. Sonoda Christchurch Campus offers a smaller hall environment, allowing students a quieter but more connected lifestyle.
Home stay and private board
Home stay and private board are popular choices with international, study abroad and exchange students when they first arrive in Christchurch. In a welcoming family environment, you will have your own room, meals with the family and the opportunity to practice your English every day. It is available throughout Christchurch in a variety of homes, offering a wide range of living situations, from families with children to single people living on their own.
UC manages a number of rental houses that offer a community environment for: • postgraduate students • interns • research assistants. Room options range from properties rented by the room with shared kitchen, bathroom and laundry facilities, to self-contained houses. Graduate House is the largest with 30 single and ensuite rooms.
Some units and self-contained houses are available and enable independent living close to campus.
Renting privately (flatting) is a great option for students, especially those in their second or third year of study. It allows you to live off campus and be more self-suficient.
Other accommodation options
If you are bringing your partner or family with you, or you are staying for less than a semester, then you may need to consider alternative options off campus, for example:
• Private rental
• Temporary accommodation